Power down for spring break
Heading out of town for spring break? Don't forget to power down before you take off. Here's a checklist:
- Turn off your computer and your monitor.
- Shut your windows.
- Shut off power strips.
- Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
- Leave refrigerators plugged in (or defrost and clean before unplugging).
- Shut fume hood sashes in lab buildings.
- Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, so no localized adjustments are needed. For more information, check out these thermostat guidelines.
- Tightly turn off faucets and report any leaks to work control at 360-650-3420.
- Water your plants.
- Turn off your lights.
- Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus.
- Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms.
Power Down is a collaborative effort of WWU Facilities Management and the Office of Sustainability, to coordinate, encourage and implement utility reduction efforts throughout campus. We believe small actions make a difference.
For more information, visit https://sustain.wwu.edu/.