Patriot Week events in support of veterans at WWU begin May 21
The Associated Students Veterans Outreach Center has put together a series of events for "Patriot Week" to support and build community for veterans on campus. The events begin Saturday, May 21, and continue through May 26.
- 10 a.m. Saturday, May 21: Oyster Dome Hike – Sign-up required to coordinate transportation and food. Please contact Paul Nicholls firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, May 22: Memorial Park Brick Cleaning, 2798 King St., Bellingham. Whatcom County Parks and Recreation will provide all the equipment for clean up; just bring some work clothes! For more information, contact Christopher Brown at email@example.com.
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, May 23: Bake sale on Vendors Row at Western Washington University. Please contact Chris Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- 6 to 9 p.m. Monday, May 23: The PBS Documentary "Operation Homecoming" will be presented in Viking Union Room 552, and a follow-up discussion will take place afterward. For more info, contact Paul Nicholls at email@example.com.
- Noon to 3 p.m. Tuesday, May 24: Veterans Social Luncheon in Viking Union Room 464. Free pizza and drinks! Everyone (students/civilians/veterans) is welcome to come and have some food and, if your're a vet, share some of your experiences about the military (if you're willing) with students who want to broaden their understanding of what it is to be a veteran and serve. For more info, contact Jordan Linayao at firstname.lastname@example.org. Later in the evening, Mt. Baker Red Cross will hold a seminar about coping with deployments in VU 464. Signup for that event is required. For more info, contact Paul Nicholls at email@example.com.
- 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 25: Obstacle challenge in the field located behind the Chemistry and Biology buildings on campus. Those interested in a military-themed workout that tests physical and mental abilities and encourages teamwork and camaraderie are invited to participate. Water and fruit will be provided. For more info, contact Toby Deaton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Noon to 4 p.m. Thursday, May 26: Memorial Day BBQ in the Performing Arts Center Plaza on campus. Hotdogs and soda will be provided. Free.