20th Annual Children's Literature Conference set for Feb. 25
The 20th Annual Children's Literature Conference at Western Washington University will host four award-winning authors and illustrators from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023 in the Performing Arts Center.
Teachers, librarians, and others dedicated to bringing books and children together will convene for a day of eye-opening inspiration and heart-felt community. Presenters include Michaela Goade, a Caldecott Medalist and winner of the 2018 American Indian Youth Literature Award for Shanyaak’utlaax: Salmon Boy; Donna Barba Higuera, Newbery 2022 winner for The Last Cuentista; Sydney Smith, an award-winning illustrator honored with the Schneider Family Book Award and the Boston Globe Horn Book Award for I Talk Like a River; and Renée Watson, winner of the Corretta Scott King Award and Newbery Honor for Piecing Me Together and NAACP Image Award Nomination for Harlem’s Little Blackbird: The Story of Florence Mills.
Literature for young people feeds curiosity and stretches understanding. It exposes young minds to the breadth of human experience from the intimacy of the page, growing a generation prepared to face the future with wisdom and empathy. Attendees get a complimentary book by one of our speakers with registration. Register before January 13 to lock in Early Bird rates and learn more at wwuclc.com.
- Who: The WWU Children's Literature Conference
- What: Four award-winning authors and illustrators speak on campus, share their process, and network with our WWU and Bellingham community.
- When: February 25, 2023 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Performing Arts Center at Western, in the Concert Hall.
- New this year: free book with registration and all new speakers! Back to a full conference after COVID.
- Other Info: There will be a shuttle running from the parking lot to the Concert Hall before and after the conference to transport attendees, lunch and light breakfast refreshments are included with registration, meet the authors and get a signed copy of their works!