Contact: Western Washington University Professor of Psychology David Sattler at (360) 650-3525 or David.Sattler@wwu.edu
BELLINGHAM — Western Washington University will hold an expert panel of professors and Western Police Chief Darin Rasmussen to discuss social networking and cyber harassment at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 14 in Academic West Room 204.
The lecture, which is free and open to the public, is sponsored by Western’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Western’s Psychology department and Institute for Social Research.
The lecture will discuss the topics of online harassment, legal issues, self-esteem and identity development, mental health, narcissism, anonymity, digital citizenship, and resources for safely using social networking.
The discussion's panelists will include:
- David Sattler is a professor of Psychology at Western. His research examines how people respond to traumatic events and normative influences in a variety of situations. He and his students examine cyberbullying and the influence of social norms on the internet.
- Adriana Manago is an assistant professor of Psychology at Western. Her research focuses on social media, sociocultural change, and adolescent social development.
- Jeanne Freeman is an associate professor of Community Health at Western. Her research focuses on the influence of media on health-related decisions and cyber harassment in young adults.
- Darin Rasmussen is the chief of Police and Public Safety director at Western Washington University. He has over 23 years of law enforcement experience.
- Farrah Greene-Palmer is the project manager for the SAMHSA Suicide Prevention Grant at Western Washington University. Her research focuses on proximal and distal risk and protective factors for suicide prevention.
- Lucy Lewis is an assistant professor of Psychology at Western. She is a former elementary- and high-school counselor and her research interests relate to the social networking use of immigrant and refugee students.
For more information about the event, contact Western Washington University Professor of Psychology David N. Sattler at (360) 650-3525 or David.Sattler@wwu.edu.