Contact: Jenny Hebert, Western Washington University Extended Education, at (360) 650-7780 or Jenny.Hebert@wwu.edu
BELLINGHAM – Western Washington University’s College of Business and Economics will offer a new course for Western students and community members to understand business professionalism and career preparation.
Through practical and hands-on experiences participants will prepare for the job search process and learn skills necessary to succeed in their future career. Participants learn how to search for jobs and enhance their professional success while gaining valuable career tips from successful business professionals.
The 10-week course is offered at noon on Thursdays starting April 3. The class meets once per week and is divided into two 45-minute segments; there is a 45-minute lecture followed by small groups sessions where students apply the skills learned in lecture.
During this course, students will:
- Develop an understanding of their personal competitive advantages.
- Customize personal marketing tools (e.g., cover letter, resume, LinkedIn profile, career portfolio, etc.) to fit their identified career path.
- Gain competency in job searching strategies.
- Enhance their personal/career network by utilizing face-to-face and virtual opportunities.
- Identify personalized communication strategies to enhance interview skills.
- Develop a better understanding of employer expectations, during the recruiting process and on the job.